Thursday, October 30, 2014

Jaz: The How and Why of Hiking

Like all things it started out as just an idea and it then turned into something more. I was originally supposed to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) with my parents. We had been planning to do this since 2008 but because of many setbacks were not able to reach our goal of getting to be "hiker trash" for 6 months on the PCT. 2014 was finally going to be the year that we were going to all be able to hike together. But unfortunately we missed our window for hiking the PCT due to weather and other reasons that were out of our control .

At this point I had put school on hold and been working a full time job all year to save up for a long hike.  My parents weren't able to go this year so  I thought "well I can go to New Zealand and check that off my bucket list".

A new trail opened up in 2011 called Te Araroa, which is an 1800 mile trail that covers both North and South islands. It's the ultimate adventure. A new trail that hardly anyone has heard of, and that so few actually get to thru hike. The terrain widely varies from tropical beach to snow covered mountain. It makes packing for the trip somewhat of a challenge since you have to pack for all weather types. Not only will we be hiking or "tramping" as the Kiwis call it; we will also be canoeing and cycling for part of the trip.  Luckily I will not be alone, as my boyfriend Cody will be joining me. Thankfully I found someone just as crazy to share this experience with.

As to the "How" portion of hiking this trip I have my parents to thank for that. They have been invaluable in supporting me while I've been planning this trip. They contributed free lodging, gear, and a wealth of knowledge about hiking long distance. Their guidance has given me the confidence I need to be able to go out and hike a long trail for the first time.

So thank you Mom and Dad for your continued love and support I appreciate everything you've done and continue to do for me. You both know that I will be thinking of you every day on the trail. Don't worry :) you have prepared me well for my big adventure.

I will be posting updates to this blog from my phone so bear with me if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes as I'm working with a teeny tiny screen and voice to text that likes to add its own 2 cents in whenever it feels like.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Baby, I feel like we let you down that we can't be there with you. I have no doubt in my mind that you are more than capable of handling yourself on the trail - you have proven that over and over from all those years you spent working at the Pack Station. I watched in awe as you were planning this hike and I feel you've got all your bases covered! I'm not worried about you at all - I just miss you, but that is to be expected. I'm enormously proud of you, Sweetheart! I love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could never let me down Mom. Besides we're still going on the PCT. The trip just got delayed. Missing you everyday on the trail. I love you and can't wait to share all these fun stories in person

      Delete